What is the significance of ancient Greek 776 BC? This is the year when the first official Olympic Games were played for the first time. This game has come to symbolize excellence and true sportsmanship in the modern world.
It is held once every four years. Because of the widespread popularity of the Olympic Games, the ancient Greek 776 BC is such a significant time.
The Olympic Games were held in order to honor Zeus and the other Greek gods of Olympia. The time chosen for the games was the full moon of midsummer. This time was chosen so that the players could get the light for a long time.
Some features and events marking Olympic Games of ancient Greek 776 BC:
The Olympic Games gave birth to so many traditions and systems that Greek 776 BC assumed special importance. The impact of some of these features spread far beyond the games. Some of them are:
1. The Olympics in ancient Greece 776 BC was marked by a sedate foot race. However, the rules became much more competitive later on.
2. The purpose of the Games in ancient Greece 776 BC was religious worship, especially to revere the gods of Olympia. Hence, the first day of the Games opened with the worship of the gods and sacrifices for them.
3. Chariot races, foot races, boxing, wrestling and many other athletic events were held during the Olympic Games. In ancient Greece 776 BC, fourteen events were held over a period of five days. The numbers have multiplied since then.
4. One characteristic of the Olympic Games that started from ancient Greece 776 BC is the tradition of holding physical contests in the nude. The origin of this tradition is somewhat unclear, but it was a well-documented ritual. Married women were not allowed to view these nude contests.
5. The most solemn moment in the entire program was held on the third day when one hundred bulls were sacrificed to Zeus. The thighs were burned as offerings while the rest was used for the banquet.
6. The symbol of the victory was the live branch of the olive which was awarded in this game, the tradition starting in ancient Greece 776 BC.
7. The victors have rewarded in many other ways also. Cash prizes were common. They were given preferential treatment at public gatherings while statues and monuments were erected to honor them. Even the four-year interval between the Games called the Olympiad was named after a victory.
8. One important feature of this gathering which started in ancient Greece 776 BC was that there existed mutual truce for three months before and also after the game so that athletes and spectators could travel and practice safely. The site of the Games, Elis and Olympia were regarded as sacred and no armed person was allowed here. This truce helped in the prosperity of Greece.
The Olympic Games started in 776 B.C. in ancient Greece still continue to be a symbol of international freedom and peace and promote the spirit of free and healthy competition.